Keurig as a brand and manufacturer of the now-infamous single-brew coffee maker, has been around for a while. Rather than review any one particular model in their line-up, today's discussion will be centered around current Keurig models and where Keurig could stand to improve their product line.
User feedback plays a large role in building such a list, because it's only out in the wild – at work, at home, etcetera, where the true tests play out in everyday usage.
Keurig Not Brewing Coffee
There are a couple possible reasons for your Keurig not brewing full cup or not brewing the best tasting coffee at all.
Here are the top 5 Keurig brewing problems:
- Depending on the type of water that you use, there may be scaling build up or other debris clogging the line.
- Air bubbles in the lines.
- All the pieces of the machine aren’t in the proper place or properly seated.
- Not enough warm-up time.
- It’s just not working no matter what I do.
SEE ALSO: How To Use A Keurig
Keurig Coffee Maker Troubleshooting:
- Try running the machine with water several times without a k-cup. If you suspect calcium scaling inside the machine, use a tiny bit of vinegar mixed with a lot of water to soak in the machine for half an hour (Disclaimer: Keurig doesn’t recommend this and it may void your warranty). After that, flush it all out several times with fresh water and try brewing a cup of coffee. You might also try using a paper clip to poke free any coffee grounds or build up from the dispensing line. But please make sure that the machine is turned off and unplugged. KcupBarista.com also recommends using a straw to blow air through the spout that punctures the pod to help clean the line back in to the water reservoir.
- Sometimes air can get in to places that it shouldn’t. With the machine turned off and the water reservoir full, try tapping or jiggling the machine slightly to help free the trapped air.
- Ensure that the coffee maker is put together properly. The most common issue is the magnetic water reservoir not being seated correctly. Lift it up and put it back in.
- Not allowing enough warm-up time can cause problems. If the water isn’t hot enough, it won’t brew properly and you will be left with little to no coffee in your cup.
- You may need to contact Keurig. Please visit their contact page for further assistance http://www.keurig.com/contact-us
For more detailed instructions on cleaning and descaling, see our How To Clean a Keurig coffee maker guide.
Maintaining Quality Workmanship
This is an area where most companies are falling down these days, so Keurig is not alone in this assessment. Users who have owned Keurig machines from day one are noticing a downgrade in overall workmanship of the product. At a time in economic history when costs are rising and revenues are shrinking, one can understand why companies such as Keurig would try to maintain affordability of their product while cutting costs where they can, but consumers are noticing.
A Good Cup of Coffee
Naturally, this problem is one of personal taste, but it’s amazing how many people will give a bad rating simply because the coffee didn’t live up to their expectations.
Many people who buy these units love them, but a Keurig coffee maker may not be for those who are truly connoisseurs of the art.
Some have tried getting around this by using the adapter filter that allows the user to add their own favourite coffee grind, but even this has had mixed reviews.
The common complaint here is that the filter is not easy to clean. Another common complaint when making coffee with this unit, is that the increase in plastic garbage.
For an environmentally-conscious coffee drinker, it’s easy to see why this could be considered a problem. Recycling options need grow when using this system.
Due to the design of these units, the water canister is part of the visual aesthetic and balances out the appearance of the machine. Consequently, the amount of water available to the unit tends to be less than most people appreciate.
Some users have acknowledged that a larger canister would make the unit look unbalanced.
The unit's tendency to alert the user to low water levels only after they have begun to brew a cup has caused other users to give Keurig a bad review. This is definitely something the company should look into changing on future models.
Design flow has also been called into question by those who prefer the deft action of swiftly mounting the canister with their right hand while preparing to hit the start button with their left hand. This may seem inconsequential to some, but as there are more right-hand users than left-hand in society, this would appear to be a design flow mistake.
The Affordability and Price of a Keurig Coffee Maker
This problem has more to do with the K-cups than the unit itself. Most users say that the Keurig machine has eliminated their daily run to the coffee shop, but just as many users are saying that the cost of that morning coffee is not significantly less.
The potential for it actually costing more is evident when creamer, sugar, and other amenities are factored into the equation. The observation has been made that if you are on low or fixed income, don’t buy these units.
This could be a sub-point of the first item in this list above. Various users are saying that their units broke down in some fashion within four to six months of use. Tech support for these systems has been lacking in some cases, great in others, but overall leaving users of affected machines with a bad taste in their mouths.
While most of the above problems tend to be more user-preference than how the machine is built, this last item is of greatest concern. People who have had to make use of the Keurig 12 month warranty are discovering that Keurig is doing everything possible not to honour it. Those unfortunate enough to have their machine break down barely over the 12-month period will be told to buy another one. This is bothersome to those who began using Keurig machines when they first came out, as they have grown to love them and are now dismayed at this turn of events.
Quality of workmanship could definitely be improved while tech support and warranty service should be overhauled to reflect the impression the company wants of its products. Overall, the problems with keurig coffee makers are not so bad that it makes the convenience of a quick cup of delicious coffee, more trouble than it’s worth.