The most important tool in any kitchen is a quality knife set. Even having one high-quality knife will make a big difference in food preparation, carving and serving.
Navigating the choices of knives and knife sets can be overwhelming.
- There are many brands, sizes, and price points. Knives are made of different materials, as are the handles.
- There are paring knives, carving knives, serrated knives and smooth-edged knives.
It’s important to make a good choice and to have a good selection of knives available to you in your kitchen.
You will need good knives to:
- Chop fruits and vegetables in food preparation
- Carve meats before serving
- Use as utensils when serving steaks or other hard-to-cut foods
- Slice skinned foods such as tomatoes
Specialty knives are also available, such as a grapefruit knife for instance, if you often eat grapefruits.
Knife care and storage are also important, to ensure you get the most out of your investment and it continues to serve you.
To help you determine the best types of knives for your kitchen, we’ve dedicated this section of our site to help you navigate your choices in knives and knife sets, with our guides, tips, and reviews.