Who says you can’t enjoy delicious finger licking moist and flavorful BBQ chicken without a BBQ? There is no need to stand outside hovering over a BBQ grill when you can make moist full-flavored BBQ chicken in your oven.
There are zillions of sauce recipes from mesquite and hickory flavored, whiskey infused sauce to the exotic chipotle Mango. You can make whatever your taste buds crave, but the following is one of those easy chicken dishes that you’ll want to try out.
Top BBQ Chicken Video Recipes
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Recipe
When buying chicken for this recipes, the best type of chicken is a broiler or fryer.
You’ll need a 15″ x 10″ x 1″ baking pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set your oven temperature at 375 degrees F.
- 4 lbs. of chicken pieces (breast, thighs, or drumsticks)
- 4-5 Tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 firmly packed cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
SEE ALSO: Substitutes For Tomato Paste
In heavy skillet heat oil over medium heat, add your chicken pieces and brown on all sides.
Once the chicken has browned, remove and drain on paper towels and then lay the chicken pieces in a lined pan.
Bake for 30- 35 minutes, until juices run clear or an internal temperature of 165°F.
While the chicken bakes, you can prepare the sauce.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion, salt, and garlic. Sauté until onion is just tender but not browned. Then add pepper, chili pepper flakes and chili powder to the onions and garlic. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Now add vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Add tomato paste and molasses and reduce heat. Whisk the ingredients until smooth. Allow a slow boil for about 15 minutes uncovered.
- Once the sauce has thickened, reduced to about 4 cups, remove sauce from the burner and set aside.
Turn chicken bone side down in the prepared pan. Brush the sauce generously over chicken pieces with a basting brush on all sides. Return to oven for about 5-10 minutes.
Warm the remaining sauce and transfer to a bowl and serve with the Oven Baked BBQ Chicken.
Note: You can either split in two portions, one for basting and one for serving or you can re-boil the sauce to kill any bacteria that might have entered from basting.
Did you enjoy these recipes? Let us know in the comments with your favorite oven-baked barbecue chicken recipes.