How To Tell If Pumpkin Pie Is Bad

We may earn affiliate fees for purchases using our links (at no additional cost to you). Learn More.

If you’re lucky enough to have leftover pumpkin pie, you might be questioning your best judgment and thinking, how can you tell if pumpkin pie is bad or not?

The best way to tell if pumpkin pie has gone bad is by the sell-by date, the color and texture, a sour smell, or the presence of mold. If your pumpkin pie has changed in these ways, it is probably bad, and you should throw it out.

However, not all signs are indicative of a pie that has expired. When it comes to homemade and store-bought pumpkin pies, the ingredients used may not have been of the best quality. This would affect the spiced golden orange pie filling we all crave in different ways.

Signs Of Bad Pumpkin Pie

The Expiration Date Has Past

The first thing you should do to understand if a pumpkin pie is expired is to check the packaging for a date.

Most store-bought pumpkin pies will have a “best by” or “sell by” date stamped on the packaging. If the date has passed, then it’s best to toss it rather than take a chance.

Even if your pumpkin pie was previously frozen and the date has long since passed, the texture of it will be a disappointment. It’s something you don’t want to be serving guests on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Before you waste time or money on more pies, here is a complete guide on how long pumpkin pie lasts.

The Crust Is Soggy

When pumpkin pie is fresh, the crust should be flaky and dry to the touch. If the crust is soggy, it may be a sign that the pie is either old or was not cooked properly.

Is your pumpkin pie sweating? That could also ruin the crust. It may not be bad in terms of making you sick, but it’s not as a good crust should be.

There are many reasons your pie may be sweating, including temperature changes from fridge to countertop, oven to the fridge, or just simply left out too long.

Keep in mind that the more moisture and warmer the temperature, the faster bacteria and molds will grow, which could potentially lead to an upset stomach or food poisoning.

The Texture Changed

If the texture of your pumpkin pie seems off, it’s probably best to discard it. A good pumpkin pie should have a smooth, creamy texture. If it’s lumpy or watery, it’s probably bad in one way or another.

If it doesn’t make you sick, it won’t taste good and will ruin the pumpkin pie experience we usually get only a couple times a year.

The Color Is Pale

Pumpkin pie should have a deep orange color, not a pale yellow or white. If the color is off, it could be a sign that the pumpkin puree is old or of poor quality. It could also be a sign of freezer burn if it was previously frozen.

If your pie filling once had the perfect golden orange color and changed, it’s gone bad. At this point, your pumpkin pie has seen its final day and should be disposed of. There is no amount of whipped cream you could put on it that could save it.

There’s Mold

Mold is always a bad sign, no matter what food you’re dealing with. If you see any mold on your pumpkin pie, it’s best to throw it out immediately despite your hunger for one more slice.

Slicing away the moldy parts of your pumpkin pie isn’t enough. While your pie was sitting, mold spores had already spread everywhere by the time you saw it. Furthermore, the roots of the mold have already begun to spread through the pie filling. Yuck!

It Tastes Sour

If you took a bite before you thought about how long it’s been since you bought it and your pumpkin pie tastes sour, it’s definitely bad, and you need to throw it away.

The sour taste, as with most foods, is usually a sign of bacteria growth which can cause food poisoning.

You’re Still Unsure About It

If you’re still unsure if your pumpkin pie has gone bad, it’s better to throw it out than ruin dinner or make a trip to the emergency room.

Don’t take a chance! Your health is more important than a slice of pumpkin pie.

What Happens If You Eat Bad Pumpkin Pie?

If you happen to eat bad pumpkin pie, the most likely scenario is that you’ll end up with an upset stomach or a bout of diarrhea. In more severe cases, you may experience food poisoning, which can lead to dehydration, cramping, and fever. If you feel unwell or have any symptoms, you should seek medical attention immediately.

Written By Justin Micheal

Justin is not just the creator but also an author and editor for KitchenSanity. He does the majority of the cooking at home with his wife. His friends and family look forward to eating his delicious creations, which often leads to many questions about how they can replicate his meals at home. In his writing, he shares his passion and knowledge as a home chef from his kitchen to yours.