Did you know that copper pots and pans distribute heat better than those made only with either aluminum or steel? Better heat distribution allows you to cook more evenly with less heat, helping to prevent your food from turning out burnt on the outside and raw inside.
All-Clad's copper core cookware set combines the best types of stainless steel cookware and copper by including layers of aluminum, steel, and a copper core. In this review we will explore this trusted brands copper pots and pans and answer those pressing questions before you make a purchase.
All-Clad Copper Core Features
All-Clad 10 Piece Set Copper Core Cookware Set
- 32 pounds of proud American metalwork.
- 2 frying pans (8" and 10")
- 2 and 3 quart saucepans & lids
- A Large 8 quart stock pot & lid
- 3 quart sauté pan & lid
- Induction Ready Cookware
7 Piece Set
- 10” Frying pan
- 2 quart saucepan with lid
- 3 quart sauté pan with lid
- 8 quart stock pot with lid
14 Piece Set
- 10” & 12” Skillets
- 2 & 3 quart saucepans with lids
- 8 quart stock pot with lid
- 3 & 6 quart sauté pans with lids
- 4 quart chef pan with lid
Non-stick Stainless Cooking Surface
The finish of the cookware makes it possible to cook eggs without fear of them sticking or searing steak and deglazing the pan to make a pan sauce (something that's hard to do with most non-stick cookware).
That being said it’s not impossible to make food stick to this cookware. In the instructions you’ll see that it’s important to use a lower heat setting and let the pan preheat before adding anything.
This is a good rule for most cookware, but especially important when using stainless steel and copper.
Another advantage of the stainless surface is that acidic foods like tomato sauce won’t react with the cookware. Other types of cookware are known to have issues with food reactions.
The All-Clad Warranty
The cookware in this set is heirloom quality which means that if you take care of them, they can literally last a lifetime and be passed on to your children. All-Clad offers a lifetime warranty to cover any manufacturing defects you might uncover.
Handles And Weight
Both the pots and pans will feel heavy if you're used to cheap aluminum cookware, but the pots come with an additional handle on the lip to help you bear the extra weight.
All-Clad advertises that this set has 'stay-cool stainless' handles. This means that the parts of the pots and pans you're likely to grab are specifically engineered to transfer heat less effectively in order to shield your hands.
In practice, you'll still want to use a potholders or heat resistant gloves most of the time.
Cleaning & Care
While the cookware is technically dishwasher safe, All-Clad recommends hand washing. It's quite easy to clean the stainless surfaces of this cookware set, especially given how easy it is to keep food from sticking.
Dishwashers can be harsh on anything that is put in them. We always recommend hand washing expensive items.
That said, there's an exposed copper band on each piece that will tarnish over time. To clean or help prevent the tarnish you can use a copper polish that is safe for cookware.
Heat And Responsiveness
The cookware contained in this set conducts heat very well. This means that your pots and pans heat up very quickly when you put them on the burner and cool off very quickly when you take them off.
You might require a more attentive hand on the temperature controls at first to avoid burning food.
This can save time when boiling water, but it also means that you have great control over your temperature when doing sensitive cooking.
Foods that require a specific internal temperature should be easier to cook once you have some practice with copper core cookware.
Because the cookware heats evenly your food will cook at the same temperature no matter where it is in the pan.
Pros And Cons Of All Clad Copper Core Cookware
- Easy to Clean - The quality of the stainless steel makes every piece of this cookware set a breeze to clean. For those stubborn areas, a soak in hot water should do it.
- Fantastic Heat Conduction - The copper core of each pot and pan lets it heat up and cool down quickly and evenly. This reduces cooking times, gives you finer temperature control.
- Built to Last - All-Clad offers a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. This cookware set is sturdy and robust. If you want to give it to your kids someday, you can, and they'll get lots of use out of it.
- Expensive - All-Clad's 10 piece set is pretty pricey. However, it's masterfully crafted metal made in America and could potentially be passed down to the next generation. In the long term, it’s not so bad.
- Heavy - The solid metal construction of these pots and pans means that they're a bit heavy to heft. If you want to toss your pan about easily with one hand you might want a lighter set.
- Copper Can Tarnish - While the stainless in this cookware is easy to clean, there's a copper band on the outside that can tarnish if you're not dutiful about cleaning it. You can be lazy about this without affecting how well your cookware cooks, but then you can't be proud of how beautiful your set looks.
Here is a great video review by Lynn from MetroKitchen. Let's check out what she has to say about All Clad Copper Core Cookware:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use this cookware set on my induction range?
Yes! All-Clad has covered all of their bases with this cookware set. Every piece works on an induction cooktop.
Does the stainless steel coating keep the lids from getting hot?
If you cook for more than a few minutes, both the handles and the lid will get fairly hot. You should use a pot-holder or other protection to handle your cookware safely.
Do the lids fit with all pieces of the cookware?
If you’re like me, you find it handy to have lids for both pots and pans. The lids are not designed specifically to be interchanged but they will still technically fit.
Where is the cookware manufactured?
All-Clad operates out of Canonsburg PA. It sources metals from various US suppliers. It proudly employs American workers.
Does food stick to the pans?
Proper handling is essential to prevent sticking with all metal pots and pans. Make sure you heat your pan slowly, add oil, and make sure you don't let your pan get too hot. With these precautions, you should be able to cook pretty much anything with minimal sticking.
Is this cookware oven safe?
Yes, up to 500 degrees as All-Clad states on their website. However, we don’t recommend using high temperatures as over time multiple exposures to these high temperatures seem to affect the non-stick effectiveness and it’s possible that the cookware can warp slightly.
Is All-Clad Copper Core Quality Cookware?
All-Clad's copper core set is expensive, but it offers quality cookware that can last for years in your household. The unique design of these pots and pans can make cooking easier by putting you in control, without any of the hassle that comes from cleaning pure copper pots and pans.
If you're looking for a quality set of the best copper cookware to hold on to for a while, All-Clad's Copper Core cookware might be an excellent choice for you.
Which set interests you the most? Find out more below:
Do you already use All-Clad copper core cookware? Let us know in the comments about your experiences and how it's changed your way of cooking.