In order to truly enjoy a fresh cup of coffee, it's said that your coffee must be ground immediately before brewing.
In this guide we will search for the best grind and brew coffee maker. We will review the pros and cons of different coffee makers with grinders to help you pick the best one for you.
A fresh pot of coffee is almost simple as the press of a button with these coffee machines.
Top 10 Coffee Makers With Grinders
Brand & Model
Grind And Brew Coffee Maker Reviews
Here are 6 grind and brew coffee makers that we think should be considered when choosing one for your home.
1. Cuisinart Grind And Brew Coffee Maker
The Cuisinart DGB – 900BC is a twelve-cup thermal, automatic coffee maker equipped with built-in grinder.
This grind and brew coffee maker has a burr grinder that can accommodate a full, eight-ounce cup of coffee beans. This is enough to make 12 cups of coffee in about 10 minutes.
Its default setting is medium grind, but you can manually select a finer grind or a coarser grind depending upon the strength of coffee you want.
You can use any type of coffee bean, even those from the grocery store.
SEE ALSO: Best Kona Coffee
- Enjoy easy selection of grind settings and number of cups.
- Grind and brew with the touch of a button.
- Use whole beans or already ground coffee.
- Take advantage of the brew pause feature.
- Getting the last cup of coffee out of the carafe can be a challenge due to the design.
- The horizontal grinder shoot tends to become blocked.
- The machine can be difficult to clean.
- There is no single serving feature.
You can keep the hopper filled with beans at all times, and the machine will only grind the amount of beans you need for the number of cups of coffee you select. Alternately, you can simply measure already ground coffee into the basket whenever you choose to.
For those who want use this coffee maker to single cups, unfortunately, it’s not designed that way. This leads to the question “does the carafe have a hot plate?” The answer is no.
However, the DGB-900BC has a thermal carafe which helps keep brewed coffee hot for hours.
The great thing about that is when your coffee is brewed to a perfect 170 degrees there is no hot plate to scorch the bottom of the carafe which could end up leaving you with burnt tasting coffee.
And finally there is an instructional DVD that comes with the unit that will teach you how to use and maintain this coffee maker. We definitely recommend taking the time to watch it instead of winging it.
2. Black And Decker Grind And Brew
The Black & Decker CEM 5000B Mill & Brew presents some very excellent features and tremendous value. One of its best-selling points is its all-in-one grinder/filter system.
The beans are ground and filtered in one place without having to be transferred to the drip basket via a chute. This reduces the chances for clogging and jamming and makes cleaning very easy.
- The water basin features a clear view window so that you can double-check the water level.
- Choose from a variety of brew strength settings.
- The combination grinder/filter is easy to clean.
- Enjoy adjustable cup capacity up to 12 cups.
- You must measure beans into the hopper for each brew cycle. It does not have the capacity to hold a "stash" of extra beans.
- The glass carafe can overheat and break if you leave it unattended.
- Coffee can burn when left heating in the carafe for extended periods.
- The grind setting is not adjustable.
This machine also features a handy automatic brew setting so that you can wake up to your freshly ground and brewed coffee first thing in the morning.
Additionally, this machine provides a "Sneak a Cup" feature that allows you to stop brewing momentarily so that you can grab a cup of coffee before the entire pot is finished brewing.
The temperature of the coffee produced won’t satisfy people who prefer scalding hot coffee. The unit produces coffee at a temperature that is considered hot by most and is kept way with the integrated hot plate.
However, the hot plate is hot enough to burn coffee in the bottom of the carafe. Nobody likes to drink burnt coffee, so this is something that you would need to keep an eye on.
The quality of the grind is decent for the Black & Decker 5000b, but the permanent filter can hold on to residue and burn causing your fresh coffee to taste a bit off. You’re not able to use a paper filter which might have avoided this, but it’s a trade-off for ease of use.
3. Hamilton Beach Grind And Brew Coffee Maker
You can use your favorite mug or travel cup with this machine to a maximum of 16oz. It also has an attachment that allows you to brew two smaller cups of coffee at the same time.
The grounds basket is made of handy, reusable plastic mesh so you do not need to buy filters. However, if you prefer to use a paper filter you can remove the plastic filter easily if you find that coffee grounds are making their way in to your cup.
- This brewing method is far more affordable than pod based single cup options.
- Reusable filter saves money and resources.
- Single cup brewing saves coffee.
- The coffee bean hopper does not provide storage. You must measure beans each time you want a cup of coffee.
- The grinder is very noisy, much louder than comparable units.
One of the main problems with grind and brew coffee makers are that they tend to clog up with use. This machine features a self-cleaning element that makes cleanup a breeze, no need to completely disassemble the entire unit to clean.
The Hamilton Beach Grind and Brew uses a metal grinding blade. While it’s capable of “grinding” coffee beans well, it’s much louder than a burr grinder. The other option is to simply use ground coffee with the unit’s secondary setting.
The most important question, how long does it take to brew a cup of coffee? From a cold start it will take about 5 minutes from grind to a full cup. If the machine and water are already warm, it can take half that time.
We feel that the Hamilton Beach coffee maker is suited for 1 -2 people who drink 2-4 cups of coffee per day between them.
4. Breville Grind And Brew
The Breville BDC650BSS features tremendous flexibility in grind control. Breville Grind Control has more grind settings than any of our other choices. There are six settings in all ranging from very fine to very coarse.
In addition to multiple settings for grinding, this machine also features multiple settings for the amount of coffee you brew. You can brew a single cup or whole pot or anything in between in two cup increments.
- The auto-start setting allows you to program your coffee maker to grind and brew just the type and amount of coffee you want, precisely when you want it.
- The hopper can store as much is a half a pound of coffee beans.
- Enjoy flexibility in every aspect of coffee brewing.
- The carafe is too small and it is difficult to pour the coffee from the carafe.
- The vertical coffee grounds chute is difficult to clean.
- This unit is a little bit costly.
There is no doubt that this is a high end machine. It includes water sensors that can be quite finicky. We don’t recommend using demineralized water or reverse osmosis with this machine as it may cause an interruption during brewing.
Normally we don’t recommend using those types of water because of the health issues they can potentially cause. Using filtered water from a Brita water filter is ideal and you should have no problems with the Breville coffee maker doing so.
Do you like hot coffee? While the machine can tell you that you’re brewing at 200f, external test measurements from inside the carafe come in around 182f. We can assume the drop in temperature is due to the carafe taking on heat and when the coffee drips heat is lost.
If you're looking for a higher end grind and brew unit, check out the Breville BDC650BSS on Amazon.
5. Krups Grind And Brew
The Krups KM7005 Grind & Brew features a conical stainless steel burr grinder. This machine is infinitely programmable and features five grinding levels. Additionally, you can adjust brewing strength from mild to medium to strong coffee.
The grinder itself is very quiet compared to other units. You can fill the hopper full of coffee beans and not worry about wasting beans because the machine will only grind as much as you need for the selected setting.
- Built-in water filter makes it easy to save money and enjoy better water by filtering your own tap water.
- You can tweak the settings on this machine to get exactly what you want in coffee brewing.
- The automatic turnoff feature ensures that your carafe will not overheat and explode.
- Settings and programming features are user friendly and easy to understand.
- The machine is well-built and sturdy.
- The hopper is transparent for easy viewing of the beans; however, an opaque and airtight hopper might keep the beans fresher. See Keep Coffee Fresh
- The unit is quite large and tall, so you will need to be sure you have ample room on your counter-top to accommodate it.
- With regular use, the level lines on the carafe tend to wear off after several months.
- The carafe can be hard to clean because the lid is not easily removable.
The Krups coffee maker is very efficient and you may notice over time that you are using less beans than comparative coffee makers.
You don't need to worry about measuring the water. Just fill the reservoir and select your cup settings. The machine will use the right amount of water to make from two cups to ten cups of coffee based on your selections. This unit also features an excellent water purification system.
The Krups coffee maker features a timeout function that allows you to grab a cup of coffee in mid-brew. There is also a keep-warm function that allows you to keep your coffee the right temperature without scorching for a couple of hours.
6. Capresso Grind And Brew (Coffee Team GS)
The Capresso 464.05 (a.k.a. CoffeeTeam GS) has an impressive number of features and is really a fine looking machine.
It's conical, stainless steel grinder is situated to the rear of the unit. It grinds the beans quickly and efficiently and delivers them directly to the filter with no intervening chute.
You can use coffee beans or ready-ground coffee with this coffee maker. When you use beans, you can enjoy five grind settings.
- Capresso features a safety shut off to prevent burning your coffee and breaking your carafe.
- Enjoy the flexibility of using whole beans or ready-ground coffee.
- Save money and resources by filtering your own tap water.
- Enjoy five adjustable grinding options.
- There is no single serving option.
- There is no brewing pause option.
- You must buy paper filters.
A built-in carbon activated water filtration system enables you to use fresh, affordable tap water for best results.
The Capresso 464.06 makes a very good cup of coffee despite the build quality of the unit. If the QA department spent a little more time on quality assurance, this would be an even better deal.
But for most people, you might not even notice the minor flaws with the coffee maker such as some plastic parts not fitting together seamlessly.
What Should You Look For?
One thing you should definitely look for is a burr grinder. This is far preferable to a blade grinder because it operates more quietly and more effectively.
A burr grinder is a little bit more costly than a blade grinder, but it's worth it.
You should also make certain that the grinder is built into the coffee maker. It should not be an attachment.
Here are five other important features you should look for in the best grinder/coffee maker combination.
- It should have an activated charcoal water filtration system built in.
- There should be several grind strength settings.
- It should have a programmable memory.
- Your machine should be easy to control.
- There should be an auto-off function.
These are the features you will find to some extent in all of the coffee makers with grinders we feature here. Don't want to buy a new coffee maker? Use your current machine and check out our reviews (Best Coffee Grinder).
Enjoy The Freshest Coffee At The Best Prices With The Right Machine
Our Top Pick: Cuisinart DGB-900BC
When you choose just the right coffee maker with grinder to suit your situation and your purposes, you can save a fortune over purchasing coffee at your local coffee shop.
Coffee machines that feature a reusable filter and a water filtration system can also save you a tremendous amount of money when compared with pod-based systems and use of bottled water.
Moreover, grind and brew coffee makers may be a smart, thrifty and environmentally friendly way of brewing coffee that makes wise use of our planet’s limited resources.
Did you enjoy this guide? Let us know in the comments with your questions and experiences. Did you find the best grind and brew coffee maker for your home?