Cuisinart products came into the home kitchen more than three decades ago. Since then they have introduced many types of kitchen gadgets to enable home cooks to create healthier meals faster which frees up their personal time.
In this guide we will focus on the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-IN-1 Griddler. You’ll discover all of its features and specifications including optional waffle plates in these Cuisinart Griddler reviews.
Cuisinart Griddler Features
Cuisinart has created this appliance with a floating cover that is adjustable depending on food thickness. You can customize the cooking surface by opening the cover and making the necessary adjustments. The reversible and removable griddle grill plates can snap in and out easily.
One of the most important questions, how long does it take to heat up before we can start cooking food? While similar devices take 5 minutes or more to get to operational temperature, the Cuisinart gr-4n 5-in-1 takes less than 3.
For the healthier side of things, the non-stick surfaces combined with a drip tray helps collect excess grease and fat while you cook.
Does the Cuisinart Griddler live up to the reputation?
Video Review & Recipe:
- Full Grill – The grill plates is most ideal for grilling steak, vegetables and chicken. It gets hot enough to sear meat with grill marks.
- Full Griddle – The griddle plates can be used for breakfast or fancy things like scallops.
- Half Grill / Half Griddle – Use both styles at the same time!
- Panini Press & Contact Grill
Try any type of sandwich from grilled cheese to panini. Pizzas are not recommended!
There are two control knobs for temperatures on the base. Here the selectors are clearly marked and the indicator lights show what is taking place. This increases operational accuracy as well as acts as a reference point for new users. This means that there is no guess-work.
Unfortunately the waffle plates are sold separately. But, if you love waffles, the extra cost much less than buying a dedicated waffle machine.
The following video demonstration is how to cook waffles using the Cuisinart waffle plates:
There is typically a 3 year limited manufacturer warranty from Cuisinart to assist or sort out any technical problems. You should verify this before purchasing.
To make things even easier, you could also buy a Square Trade protection plan from Amazon. They cover a wide range of appliances, prices, and purchase dates. The best part is that you don’t even need to buy the appliance from Amazon.
Cleaning And Care
After you have completed your cooking session, turn off the Griddler and unplug the power cord from the power source. Give the unit enough time to cool down.
- While still warm, use the scraping tool to remove any dirt and leftover food from the cooking plates and other parts of the unit. Be careful not to use too much pressure as you can still scratch off the non-stick coating. It’s best to leave the plates to soak in warm water rather than scraping them.
- Wash the scraping tool when you’re done with it. Remove the drip tray, dispose of the grease, and wash it.
- Press the release buttons in order to remove the cooking plates from the unit’s housing. Make sure that the plates are cool before you remove them.
- Washing the Cooking Plates – The plates can be washed in the dishwasher but we recommend placing them in a shallow pan covered with warm water and left to soak for 10 minutes or more for food that has baked hard on to the plates.
- Finally, use a clean soft and dry cloth to clean the control knobs. If there are tough stains, dampen the cloth in order to get the required level of cleanliness.
How to Insert Cooking Plates
Let’s look at how to install a Cuisinart griddle plate.
- Make sure it is turned off, unplugged, and cooled down
- Adjust the Griddler to the flat position with the controls placed directly in front of you.
- The cooking plates are reversible so they will fit on either side. The drip spout is to the rear of the plate. Locate the metal clips. This is the place where you will insert the plates and snap into place.
- Insert the plates one at a time.
Does it produce a lot of smoke? No, in fact the Cuisinart Griddler is designed to be used in a home kitchen. It uses electricity rather than charcoal or propane which are inherently smoke producers.
You can expect smoke if:
- You burn your food
- Use a lot of butter (especially in the case of making a Panini sandwich)
- Use low temperature oils
- Do not clean your griddler properly from the last time you used it.
Grease Is Not Going In To The Drip Tray
Sometimes the grease will not go to the drip tray and actually drip on to the counter instead. The most common reason for this is that the counter or table that you are using is not level.
Cooking Plates Are Ruined
Many people have complained that their griddler is ruined in Less than 6 months and no longer non-stick. As with any non-stick surface, the coating can be damaged quite easily if care is not taken. In many cases the problem comes from washing them incorrectly.
We don’t recommend using a dishwasher even though they say dishwasher safe. The problem is that not all dishwashers and soaps clean the same. Please see our cleaning notes above.
In some cases cooking sprays have been the culprit. Food shouldn’t stick to the surfaces if you are at operational temperature and you let your food cook before touching it.
Often the result of food sticking is that the person had been playing with the food (or “checking on it”) during the cooking process. Just leave it alone!
- Saves Space – Multi-appliance
- Promotes healthy cooking
- Low power consumption
- Dishwasher safe parts
- Easy to clean
- Waffle plates sold separate
- No timer
- Could use more power to griddle pancakes (griddle temp for pancakes)
Cuisinart is a brand most people trust and respect.
Despite a few potential issues, the value you get from this machine is reasonable when you think about how many functions it has. It may save you time in the kitchen with cooking and cleanup combined.